SEARCH THE BLOG

Mar 8, 2012

Thrifty Thursday

I snuck off to Goodwill last night after work.  I used to only go on Friday nights as it was when everything was half price, but they suddenly got rid of that around Christmas time.  I guess no one was shopping on the other days.  And now they have bizarre promotions on different days.  I can't keep track of them so I just wing it and hope for the best. Yesterday was a buy-one-get-the-second-for-1 cent deal, but I think it only applied to clothing.  I rarely have the patience to look through the clothes so that didn't help me out at all.

Here's my haul:

Check out the cute starfish.  It's real.  And very fragile.  I have a thing for starfish.  Not like my thing for turtles, but pretty close.  I got some really great pictures of orange and green ones (starfish, not turtles) while we were on a catamaran trip the last time we were in Cuba.


And Hawaii is our favourite vacation spot so anytime I find travel/history books on any of the islands I grab them.  This one has some terrific photography in it.  In fact, I think the cashier wanted to keep it - she kept flipping through the pages as she was ringing the other things up.


I grabbed a few paperbacks for vacation (9 more days!) 


I love Lee Child.  Do you read the Jack Reacher series?  I don't even want to talk about Tom Cruise playing Reacher in the new movie - makes me want to cry.  Can you imagine Jim Cavaziel (Person of Interest) in the role?  Perfect.  Okay, so maybe I'm willing to talk about it a bit. 

I almost always buy my books at used book stores.  I just can't justify paying full price for books.  Gift cards are about the only thing that will get me into a Chapters.

This tin pail is a great size.  I have a smaller one that I use for scissors, hole punches, pliers, etc., but it's quickly becoming too small. 


The pink and white fabric inside is a pair of pyjama bottoms.  I can't go to Goodwill without buying a pair.  They are my crack.

I bought this spirally metal thing and I have no idea what it's for.  I thought that it might look cool at Christmas with some garland strung through it and some little beads or lights or berries added.  Any thoughts on what it is?


This lantern was the prize of the day.  Our Goodwill doesn't have bargain basement pricing - a pair of shoes I was looking at were $50! - but this was eight dollars.  Not bad.  It's sturdy and in good shape.  And the handle isn't flimsy so I could hang it if I wanted to.


I also grabbed six matching cloth napkins.  They are very soft and very white.  I might make some more pillows with them.

All together it was a good night.

Pyjamas - 1.87
Napkins - 2.94 for six
Book - 3.49
Paperbacks - 2.49 for each
Lantern - 8.08
Pail - 99 cents
Starfish - 99 cents
Metal Swirl - 99 cents

Total - 26.82

Found any good deals lately?  What thrift stores do you frequent?  We also have a Value Village and a Salvation Army (all three stores within a block of each other) along with a H4H Restore.




7 comments:

Shopwithpippa said...

Love your finds!  Found your "Light Box" on Feathered Nest Friday ... Great idea!   Glad to have found another thrifting blog .... mine is also!  pippa
www.shopwithpippa.com

Megan said...

I found this dresser/credenza whatever you'd like to call it in a Barn Thrift store last weekend in our town for $25...I was excited.  I love your lantern find...what a deal!  http://ourpinterestingfamily.blogspot.com/2012/03/my-barn-find.html
 
 

Courtenay H said...

So funny! I never even realized you were in Ontario until just now when you mentioned Value Village, which I love. I haven't been in about a year though cause I always find waaay too many great things. I'm getting the itch right about now though...

Mindy said...

What great finds:)  I love the latern and for that price you can't pass it up!!!  We went to Maui for our honeymoon and we fell in love with it.  It is such a beautiful spot to vacation:)

Caroline @ Double the Decor said...

Hi Barb : ) Thanks for sharing all these great finds.  I love GW.

I wanted to let you know that there is a game of "tag" going around blogland and I tagged you to answer some Q's!  Check out the link here: http://doublethedecor.blogspot.com/2012/03/we-got-tagged.html

BarbSteadman said...

We're hoping to go to Maui next time - haven't been there yet.

BarbSteadman said...

I took a Photoshop course next door to Value Village - guess where I went on my lunch break? :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...