SEARCH THE BLOG

Sep 24, 2012

H Marks the Spot

We've reached the end of the wreath-building marathon! It was a close one, but I think I came out on top.

Here's a look at the final wreath - made for Tom's aunt Bev.


This monogram was almost the death of me. Do you know how many times I painted it? No? Well I'm going to tell you. 6 times. SIX.TIMES.

The letter started out from the store a plain black.


I gave it a thin coat of spray primer and then painted it green (like the house numbers on the first wreath). But I was planning on using green flowers, so I thought, too much green. I decided I'd rather have it yellow, so I sanded the green off and painted it by hand.


But it still wasn't quite right. On to navy blue. Two coats of spray sealer. But no, the blue was too dark.  I went back to yellow. But not the same yellow as before - oh no - this time a pale yellow spray paint. So another coat of primer and then the paint. Whew!

After all that I sanded down the edges to give it a worn look. The extra layers of paint were a bonus because different colours show through depending on how hard I sanded.


Prior to painting (the green coat) I wrapped the crosspiece of the H with twine vertically. I wouldn't suggest wrapping before painting, but when I started I wasn't planning on painting it at all. This means I had to cover the twine each time I sprayed it. Once it was all painted, dried, and sanded, I wrapped the center two-thirds of the letter in more twine, but going in a horizontal direction this time.


I glued the letter directly to the wreath. I had originally planned to hang it from the center (like this wreath), hence the two holes at the top, but because of the size of the letter I think it's more secure this way.

I then just played around with the flowers I had on hand until I found an arrangement I liked. Once they were in place I glued each down. I have some grosgrain ribbon with green, red & yellow in it, so I wound it through the back of the wreath to give it a hanger.







How about a recap of the wreaths I made? (click on each picture to go to the post)








And if you're interested, the wreath that started it all.



Do you have a favourite? Mine is still the layered picture frame wreath. 

Now it's time to get a wreath on my own door! 

~~~~~

I'm linking up here this week!


30 comments:

megan Vaughn said...

Love this wreath! It looks beautiful, Barb. :)

Karah @ thespacebetweenblog said...

I love the horizontal jute wrapping!!! And you ended up with the perfect color ... worth all 6 tries! :) Beautiful wreaths.

Mindy said...

VEry pretty! Love the look of only half of the "H" in twine:)

Erin said...

I'd say all the painting was worth it, because it turned out great! I may try to make one myself. I so need to get going on Fall decorations!


Erin
takingtimetocreate.blogspot.com

dani said...

I love the simplicity of this wreath! (And then I read about all of the painting and realized not-simple). I love the style though and it was all worth it in the end.

www.thehesitanthousewife.com said...

Love it! Stopping by from Polka Dots on Parade!

Steph @ Crafting in the Rain said...

Really pretty--the twine is a perfect addition on there!

Nonny said...

Very nice! I love monogram wreaths!

BeColorful said...

The idea of adding the twine to the letter really takes it to a whole new level. Tres Chic. :D I love the wreath with the numerals too. Nice post.
p

Debbie Borthwick said...

I love it! I actually love them all! Great job, boy you've been busy.
Saw you sharing at It's So Very Cheri
Debbie :)

Melba said...

I love the one with the feathers. And I happen to have some feathers! Now all I need is to did a grapevine wreath out of the "craft shed". But not right now, it's raining!




Fireflies &
Jellybeans Linky Party #83

cathy@My 1929 Charmer said...

You have made some very lovely wreaths. I am partial to monograms on wreaths, and love yours. Very pretty wreaths. Thanks for sharing your inspiration with Sunday’s Best – you helped make the party a success!

Kelly@ Here Comes the Sun said...

I love how this turned out. The monogram is lovely. Thanks for sharing at Fabulous Friday. Pinning this now.

Jennifer Dawn Oliver Shelton said...

Beautiful wreath! Thanks for sharing!

ginger said...

Featuring YOU today! :)

Ginger @ GingerSnapCrafts.com

http://www.gingersnapcrafts.com/2012/10/13-fall-wreaths-take-look-at-you.html

denyse loar said...

This is a super cute wreath and Yes! I did pin it...Too cute to not share ;-)

BarbSteadman said...

Thank you!

BarbSteadman said...

Thank you!

BarbSteadman said...

Thanks!

BarbSteadman said...

Thank you!

BarbSteadman said...

Thank you!

BarbSteadman said...

Thank you!

BarbSteadman said...

Thanks! It WAS a lot of painting but I love how it turned out.

BarbSteadman said...

Thanks! I'm way behind on my own too!

BarbSteadman said...

Thank you!

BarbSteadman said...

Thanks Megan!

Linda said...

I'm positive Tom and Aunt Bev are in love with your multi-layered spray painted wreath creation!

Thanks so, so much for sharing at our spray paint link party!

:)

Linda

Laura @ Finding Home said...

I love the mix of the paint and burlap. Thanks for sharing at our link party. Take care, Laura

BarbSteadman said...

Thank you!

BarbSteadman said...

Awww, thanks!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...