SEARCH THE BLOG

Sep 4, 2012

Weathered Wicker Dresser

Hey everyone!

I hope you had a terrific labour day weekend! Ours was filled with home projects, as usual, but we did sneak in a trip to Gravenhurst to go hiking on the Old Stone Road Trail, and a night at the drive-in for a triple-bill. Do they still have drive-ins where you live? Ours is only about 10 minutes away so it's really convenient. Plus there's an awesome pizza place nearby so we aren't slaves to the concession stands.




Two of the bigger projects we worked on aren't ready to show off but I'll give you a sneak peek:




Instead of getting into the details of that, here's a little craft room update I can share.

I have a wicker dresser/chest that I use to store my paints, glue, brushes, scraps of material, & other crafty items that don't seem to have a home. It's pretty standard, you can pick one up in any big box store for around $150-$250 but they go on sale all the time. Mine came from Canadian Tire and I'm pretty sure I got it for around $100. The frame is wood, while the drawers are wicker. And the handles are leather, which I think is a nice touch.



I keep a small container of wall paint around for touch ups and what-not. Sometimes I'll water down a bit of it when I want to give something a white-washed look or when I do my "grey stain" treatment. One day the idea came to me to lighten up the wicker areas on the chest with the watered-down paint.

I just grabbed an old washcloth and started wiping the paint on. I only painted the wicker so that the wooden areas would stand out more. I didn't do the backs or the insides of the drawers since they won't be seen anyway. And it only took about 10 minutes from start to finish.



Now it has a beachy look and I am a happy girl. 
If I can't go to the beach, then I'm bringing the beach to me!

Maybe I should have scattered some starfish and shells around?


That dog painting still hasn't found a home. Tom wants to hang it over Sasha's food bowl so she can look at it while she's eating.








~~~~~

I'm linking up here this week!






18 comments:

Our Pinteresting Family said...

It looks beautiful. I love the handles on the baskets.

Tricia Flake said...

Barb,


You did such a great job! I love the beachy look! Thanks for sharing with us this week!


Take care,

Trish

BarbSteadman said...

Thanks Trish! I liked how easy this project was.

Jennifer Dawn Oliver Shelton said...

This turned out great! Thanks for sharing!

Kerstie Pederson said...

Looks great, love the difference the gray paint made.

Lauren @ All Things Homie said...

Love the contrast, we have those canvases for our dogs too! Thanks for linking up to Stop, Look, Link!

must love junk said...

That looks fantastic! I'm your newest follower :)
Susan

Mom On Timeout said...

Great update! Thanks so much for sharing at Mom On Timeout!

Britni @ Hubby Made Me said...

I love it! It turned out great! :)

Alecia said...

I love the paint job! Thanks for linking up at what's cluckin!

Nicole@Show Off Friday said...

That makes it look really good!

BarbSteadman said...

Thank you!

BarbSteadman said...

Thanks!

BarbSteadman said...

Thank you!

BarbSteadman said...

Thanks!

BarbSteadman said...

Thank you!

BarbSteadman said...

Thank you!

BarbSteadman said...

Thank you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...