SEARCH THE BLOG

Dec 2, 2012

Book Tree


We have a large bay window upstairs at the front of the house. I know you've seen it from the outside when we replaced and repainted the trim, but it also give an amazing view from the inside of our entire street. It's the dogs' favourite place to hang out. All.Day.Long.

Sasha & Chloe - turtles and tails blog

I thought a tree would look good there, but we only have one tree tall enough to show out the window. Other than the fun one made from tree branches we put in the basement TV room.

A few weeks ago we went through the bookcases and thinned out the books that we didn't want any more. How badly do I really need old chemistry or accounting textbooks? (My favourite - Semi-micro Qualitative Analysis. Makes me sound so brainy. Or nerdy. Your pick.) Since then the books have been stacked against the wall waiting to go to Goodwill.

I decided to put the books to use and turned them into a tree. I started with the textbooks, worked up to the hardback thrillers, and then the paperbacks. The base is an old end table that I'm planning to refinish - if I ever get time to do it. Just add it to the list.

Book Tree - Turtles and Tails blog

Book Tree - Turtles and Tails blog

The tree is topped with a wooden moose hand-carved by Tom's uncle. I wrapped his little body with white lights so he'd look like a star.

Book Tree - Turtles and Tails blog

And I found some little battery-operated lights at the dollar store that are the perfect proportion for the "tree".

Book Tree - Turtles and Tails blog

There you have it. Such a fun, easy project. I'm feeling pretty resourceful for using items on hand. And it keeps the books out of the way until after Christmas when I'll have time to get them to Goodwill. Win-win.

Book Tree - Turtles and Tails blog

Book Tree - Turtles and Tails blog

Book Tree - Turtles and Tails blog

~~~~~

I'm linking up here this week!

34 comments:

Heather Bowman said...

What a cute idea! God knows I have enough books for this...maybe I'll try it! :) (PS: I shudder to think of the amount of barking that would go on 24/7 at my house if I had a window like this. Your dogs must be in heaven!)

BarbSteadman said...

Yes, there's a lot of barking! Drives us crazy! But sometimes they'll just sit there for hours watching and it's adorable.

Natalie Buehler said...

How original :) Thanks for sharing.
x

Crystelle Boutique said...

Oh what fun it is to have a book tree. The lights on it are a great finsihing touch!
Enjoy it this Christmas season!



hugs x
Crystelle

Alecia said...

This is so fun! Thanks for linking up at the Country Christmas Party, I featured your book tree on my FB page :-)

BarbSteadman said...

Thanks, Alecia!

BarbSteadman said...

Thank you!

terry said...

I adore these book trees that I have been seeing!

Jamie @ Love Bakes Good Cakes said...

What a neat idea :) Thank you for sharing at All my Bloggy Friends this week!

annie! said...

I've been seeing these online this year and totally love this idea. Yours is beautiful!

Dona Wilkes said...

How fun is this!

Vanessa said...

Hi, Barb
This is just too cute and a great way to use your books. Love it! Found your lovely blog on Eye Heart link party. Love looking around your lovely blog and I am a new follower. Love for you to stop by www.homesweetbutterfly.com. Have a great weekend. : )

I Gotta Try That said...

I love this. I wish I had a library room to put one in. Thanks for sharing it on "I Gotta Try That" Have a great weekend.
Marcie

Rachel Rockwell said...

That is so awesome!

Mums make lists said...

What a lovely idea!

laura at Top This Top That said...

oh my- how clever! featuring this creative tree on my weekly wow's on Sunday.

erica -We Three Crabs said...

Loving this! I'm a book lover/former librarian. This is right up my alley.

I host a Pinterest Tuesday Link up over at my blog. I'd like to invite you to link up this post or any other pinterest idea you have. Hope to see you on Tuesday.
Erica
We Three Crabs
http://ericabarker.com

Lauren said...

Adorable! I love decorating with books and book pages but this is so unique -- sending this to my DIL and Son who are book "nuts"!

Stuff and Nonsense said...

this makes
my literary heart
go thumpity thump!


love this idea
for filling an empty spot
with creative Christmas cheer
so much
that i pinned it


thanks for sharing
at Fridays Unfolded!


{alison}

Sarah said...

I love this, I think it would be a fun way to decorate my husband's office for the holidays. You are being featured today over on the blog.

http://sarahdawndesigns.blogspot.com/2012/12/pintastic-monday-20.html#.UMYl8Kzxxgg

Tammy said...

What a great idea! Thank you for sharing this at Rustic Restorations Weekend!

cassie said...

this is such a fun idea! i love its unique look!

Kim~madeinaday said...

Love this! I am featuring you tomorrow! Thanks for linking up!

Kim

Seaweed & Raine said...

Tres cool! Unique, useful (disguises a pile of books after all!) and pretty.

karah said...

another great idea! love it ... great use for all those books!

BarbSteadman said...

Thank you!

BarbSteadman said...

Thanks, Kim!

BarbSteadman said...

Thanks!

BarbSteadman said...

Thanks, Sarah!

BarbSteadman said...

Thank you!

BarbSteadman said...

Thank you!

BarbSteadman said...

Thank you!

BarbSteadman said...

Thank you!

BarbSteadman said...

Thank you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...