SEARCH THE BLOG

Jul 31, 2013

Vintage Bedroom Chair

There's someone new keeping us company in the bedroom at night. And during the day. He's short, chubby, and older, but I think I love him.

Meet our new man:
Vintage Chair

Tom's been making me go trail riding (mountain bikes) with him lately - though really I do like it, so it's not like he's dragging me through the forest. I think he wants me to go with him just so he doesn't feel guilty buying pizza afterwards. This last week, as we drove from the trail to the pizza place, we passed an old antique shop near Sharon, Ontario. (That's for you locals.) It's a tiny little place that used to be a motorcycle repair shop. Sounds bad, right? They had all kinds of solid wood furniture outside though, so I made Tom stop to take a look.

There was nothing that we really wanted - well, there was a dining room set but we don't have room for it. Just as we were about to leave I saw this chair with cardboard boxes piled on top of it. The fabric looked brand new and it didn't sag, plus the grey would match our bedroom, so off I went to find out the price. The guy told me $45 or best offer. Seriously? I was expecting over a hundred dollars. Especially since the manufacturer's tag was still on the bottom. And did I mention that the fabric was brand new? Tom had $35 in his wallet (I conveniently didn't bring mine), so just like that it was ours.

The tag on the bottom says it was made in 1967 and the upholstery was originally tangerine. Can you imagine? Though our bedroom is done in grey and orange, so maybe it would have matched regardless.

Vintage Furniture Tag

The finish on the wood is peeling, but I'd like to stain it a darker shade anyway. I'm thinking espresso or ebony.

Vintage Chair

The seat is really wide and the arms are low - perfect for slouching in while we talk about our day.

Vintage Chair

The fabric is a little bluer than the walls, but it seems to match the grey in the pillows exactly. (Not that that pillow would stay there - it's a bit big - but I wanted to add some colour to the shot.)

Vintage Chair


The room really needed a dose of old-fashioned. Even Tom, who originally didn't want a chair in the bedroom, said, "Hey, this is pretty comfortable to sit in." Better believe it! This guy is staying.

Vintage Chair


4 comments:

Barb @ Turtles and Tails said...

What a GREAT find - lucky you!
Biking and pizza sound pretty great too :)
You make me want a slice of pizza and it's 6.30 in the morning
XOXO

Barb @ Turtles and Tails said...

Nice find! We have a Barrymore wingback, but it's in desperate need of reupholstering.

Barb @ Turtles and Tails said...

I'm so glad we don't have to reupholster it! If you have a Barrymore then you must be Canadian. Hi!

Barb @ Turtles and Tails said...

There is no wrong time for pizza!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...