SEARCH THE BLOG

Sep 14, 2012

Layered Picture Frame Wreath

Has the crisp fall air hit your area yet? It has here. I'm liking it, as long as it stays dry. I think I'm going to dig out my sweaters this weekend. And it's time to decorate the front porch. Mums and pumpkins. Oh, I have so many ideas for pumpkins this year!

Fall weather also brings on fall wreaths. Last time we chatted, I had just completed this wreath with house numbers and feathers. Pretty, right? Wait 'til you see what I've come up with next. Might be tooting my own horn, but I don't care.

This, this, is my favourite wreath ever. I just love it so much. Like the last one, I made this wreath for someone else. But I really want to keep it. Do you think they'd mind?


I started out with an inexpensive picture frame and wreath from Goodwill. If you remember, I hinted about this project here. I must have spent a good 20 minutes at Goodwill holding wreaths and frames up together until I found the right match.

I removed the glass and matting from the frame (and a pretty picture of lavender that I'll keep) and pulled all of the flowers from the wreath. I sanded down the green paint a little bit and then gave the frame a few coats of taupe-y paint. It looks kind of white here but it is indeed taupe.


Once it was dry I took some sandpaper and sanded down spots here and there, to give it a worn, aged look. It was really hard to get paint to stick to the frame so sanding some off was a breeze. Once I had it worn enough, I applied a very thin layer of wax and buffed it with a cloth.


I used red berries and white flowers to decorate the wreath, with some green leaves that I think look like a vine climbing up the sides. Once I had all of the flowers in place, I stuck them down with hot glue to keep them secure. 


The final touch was a bow made of burlap ribbon. I am so excited to find this ribbon! There were two rolls of it at Walmart and I scooped them both up. Now I'm considering trekking around the area to see if I can find more at other locations. Gotta stock up!


I glued the wreath to the frame in a few spots with hot glue. If you wanted to make it more secure, you could drill small holes in the frame and string wire through the holes and then around the branches.


The loop on the back of the frame is kind of interesting. I layered the burlap ribbon and red grosgrain ribbon (to play off of the colour of the berries), strung them through a metal ring, and stapled them securely to the back of the frame. Now when it's hung the frame and ribbon will both lay flat.





Two wreaths down, one to go! What do you think so far?

~~~~~

I'm linking up here this week!











23 comments:

Sandra said...

Your wreaths are so charming, I love the frame idea and what inexpensive idea.
I have been reading your past posts of your pooches and love them all!



Sandra

Rebekah said...

Very pretty and I'm not usually a huge wreath fan. Love this one, though!

A Proverbs 31 Wife said...

I love this! So pinned and on my to make list. :)
Found you via MIY monday.

Bobi Jensen said...

I love this look - with the wreath in a frame!


I'm hosting my first linky party - would love for you to join in:
http://westernwarmth.blogspot.com/2012/09/weekend-warmth.html
Thanks,Bobi

Carissa Rasmussen said...

it looks totally different from the befores! I would have never thought to add a frame to a wreath but I love it. Thanks for the inspiration

BarbSteadman said...

Thanks Bobi, I'd love to!

BarbSteadman said...

Thanks!

BarbSteadman said...

Thank you!

BarbSteadman said...

Thanks Sandra!

Michelle said...

What a great idea! The frame underneath really adds to the overall look. I want to try this with my next wreath. I'll have to keep an eye out for a good wreath and frame.

Darla said...

This is the first framed unframed wreath I have seen, this is going to catch on!

JoAnn @ SweetPepperRose said...

This is a cute idea! and I love berries ;-)

Emily @Sweet Bella Roos said...

Cute! I love the repurposed frame! Thanks for sharing at Pin It Thursday!

Christina at I Gotta Create! said...

Love the layering effect.
Thanks so much for linking up at I Gotta Create! <3 Christina

Amie @ Pinkapotamus said...

This is sooo pretty! Love wreaths in a frame.. gives it an added elegance! Thanks so much for sharing with the Pink Hippo Party~
xoxo
Amie @ Pinkapotamus

Maggie Ann said...

That is very pretty...I like the arrangement of red berries at the bottom...I'm guessing they are artificial?

Kim~madeinaday said...

Great Idea! Thanks for linkinig up!
Kim

BarbSteadman said...

Thanks Kim!

BarbSteadman said...

Oh yes, definitely artificial! Hopefully she'll be able to keep the wreath up for several seasons.

BarbSteadman said...

Thank you!

BarbSteadman said...

Thank you!

BarbSteadman said...

Aww, thanks!

BarbSteadman said...

Thank you! It's hard giving it away!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...