SEARCH THE BLOG

Oct 12, 2011

Wreathed in Burlap


This past weekend was Thanksgiving in CanadaWe didn’t have a lot planned other than installing
new garage doors with the neighbour. Just like the Pilgrims did! J

The weather was absolutely gorgeous, and with an extra day off work, I decided to get the front porch decorated for fall.

First step was a wreath. Since the stores were closed I was determined to use only what I already had in the house. I started with a plain grapevine-type wreath from Goodwill.


I was just going to wrap it in burlap, but at the last minute decided to give it a little more heft
with an additional layer of drop cloth fabric. 


Honestly, what can’t a dropcloth be used for?


I cut the fabric into 2-3” wide strips and used hot glue to attach the first end to the wreath.  I then wrapped it fairly tightly and glued the tail end.
 
Because this material wouldn’t be seen I wasn’t all that careful about keeping it even or hiding the seams. I then cut the burlap into strips and attached them to the frame in the same manner as the dropcloth. 

 
(That first piece was already cut, so no your eyes aren’t mistaken, it’s definitely more than 3” wide.)



I pulled out all of my fall décor odds and ends and started gluing them onto the bottom right “corner”.  I was going to cover the entire circle with leaves but decided to just keep it simple. 



I gradually layered on leaves, pinecones, potpourri and tiny pumpkins until I got the look I wanted.


Lastly I tied a piece of cream & gold ribbon to the top to hang it and my wreath was done!





Bonus: here’s a sneak peak at what the doorway looks like once it was all finished.







4 comments:

Meredith from A Mother Seeking said...

Looks great. I love burlap on a wreath

~ Meredith From A Mother Seeking Come find me on my blog, A Mother Seeking...

Courtney ~ French Country Cottage said...

Super charming~ love your wreath wrapped in burlap! I host Feathered Nest Friday at my blog if you would like to come share sometime!

Unknown said...

I featured this wreath on my blog today!!
Thanks so much for linking up to my Marvelous Mess party!! Don't forget to grab a featured button!! Here is the link: http://www.marvelouslymessy.com/2011/10/marvelous-mess-35-and-features.html

Roeshel said...

So pretty! I'm including a link back too! (Tomorrow's DIY Fall Festival). Thank you so much for sharing your creativity! I'm a new follower! It's so nice to "e-meet" you!

Roeshel

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...