SEARCH THE BLOG

Dec 8, 2011

Paleo Spaghetti

I have to admit that since giving up cereal grains, I haven't really missed pasta.  But I do miss the sauce, and it seems weird to dig into a big bowl of spaghetti sauce all by itself.

Enter Paleo spaghetti.  I found this recipe on paleodietlifestyle.com and it gets a gold star from me.

I make my sauce in the slowcooker - 'cause I'm lazy.  I add ground beef, chopped onions, mushrooms and garlic.  I let that cook completely and then add a jar of prepared spaghetti sauce.  Sometimes I'll add a can of diced tomatoes if I have it in the house.  Then some spices (chinese chili sauce and garlic pepper this time), and a tablespoon of sugar to sweeten it. I also used some coconut milk to cut down on the acidity of the tomato.

Doesn't that look good?


For the  "spaghetti" you're going to use a spaghetti squash.  I've never liked squash but I'm warming up to it now.  Cut the squash in half lengthwise, scrape out the seeds and what-have-you, and season it if you wish (I used southwest pepper flakes). 


Feel free to put the sticker from the squash on your dog's head and watch her dance around trying to get it off.  Dinner and a show! 


Place the two squash halves face down in a baking dish and bake in the oven for about 40 minutes.  You don't want to overcook it or the squash will become mushy instead of stringy.


Once done, take a fork and "fluff" the squash strings apart.  They should come apart easily. 



One average squash makes enough for at least 5-6 servings, maybe more. We've made two dinners, two lunches, and a breakfast from it so far and there's still quite a bit left.




What do you think?  Something you'd want to try?  If you do, let me know how it turned out. Do you have any other pasta alternatives you like to use?

~~~~~~~~

Linking to these great food parties this week!

4 comments:

BarbSteadman said...

For some reason it doesn't bother me, and I really don't like squash.

Los Johnson said...

I LOVE this dish. My hubby doesn't. I think he can't get past the fact that he is eating squash :)

ChiWei Ranck said...

We've been doing this ever since we got started with our CSA.  I mean, what else do you do with spaghetti squash other than have spaghetti - tomatoes and lots of garlic work well too.  I'm also warming up to the sqaush thing :-)

Blissful_and_domestic said...

Very cool idea! totally wouldn't have thought of using squash.  Thanks so much for linking up to my Homemade Year linky party:> I can't wait for a Homemade 2012 and thanks for joining in the fun!

http://blissfulanddomestic.blogspot.com/p/my-homemade-year-linky-party.html

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...