SEARCH THE BLOG

Mar 14, 2012

Yarn Eggs (Pinterest Challenge)

Are you ready for some Pinterest goodness?


Katie from Bower Power & Sherry from Young House Love are hosting another Pinterest Challenge, along with Erin from The Great Indoors and Cassie from Hi Sugarplum.  The idea is to take something you've found on Pinterest and put your own spin on it.  Then link up at the host sites so everyone can see what you've created.

I missed out on the last one because I couldn't get my butt in gear fast enough.  I did eventually post a Pin-spiration, the pinecone map ornament - better late than never, right?

This time I knew what I was going for.  At least a month ago I bought some styrofoam eggs from the dollar store.  How's that for planning?  Then I forgot about them.  That's more like me.  But this past weekend when my sewing machine broke down and I had to buy a new one, a walk through the yarn department reminded me of those poor lonely eggs and my plan for them.


I've been wanting to make yarn-wrapped eggs for a while and thought I was going to use jute twine - my first love - but I also realized that the house needs more colour.  Since the living room is going to be grey-beige with navy curtains I thought some eggs with blues and greens would be just what it needed.

Here is my inspiration:




Aren't they sweet?  And done up in warm, fun colours that could be displayed all year round.

So we hunkered down to clear off some of the 15+ hours of programming on the DVR while I wrapped eggs in yarn. Regular Monday night, right?

I decided to use plain white glue instead of hot glue, mostly to reduce the number of burns I'd receive.  Reduced it to zero!  Go me!

It was a little slower though as you have to wait for the glue to dry a bit or the yarn will slide around.  I started by gluing the end of the yarn to the bottom of the egg, and then winding it around in a circular pattern.

Yarn Eggs

Yarn Eggs


Yarn Eggs

Do you see how the yarn is twisted so that the pattern repeats itself all the way up the egg?  I love that.  You do see a pattern, don't you? I see a pattern. By the third and fourth eggs my fingers had so much glue on them that I was having trouble getting the yarn to stick to the egg.  Yarn-wrapped fingers?  Maybe I'll start a trend.

One egg:

Yarn Eggs

Two eggs:

Yarn Eggs

Three eggs (bwah-ha-ha!):

Yarn Eggs

All the eggs:

Yarn Eggs


I tried them out in different places, but I think my favourite is just in a bowl with some moss.  Makes it a little rustic and natural-looking.  Maybe a wooden bowl?

Yarn Eggs

Yarn Eggs

Yarn Eggs

Yarn Eggs


I did have six eggs to work with but ran out of time.  I'll finish the other two later this week and get them displayed.  I might even work in some terracotta hues to pull in the tile around the fireplace.

Yarn Eggs

Yarn Eggs

Yarn Eggs

I hope you'll head over to the hosts' sites to see what everyone came up with this time. Everyone has such great ideas and awesome projects. You can't help but be inspired to create something new.

~~~~

I'm linking up here this week!

24 comments:

Erin Tatum said...

These are really neat-- I love that you can customize them to whatever you like, and it seems like they'd make great gifts, too!  Great job, and thanks for linking up with the Winter Pinterest Challenge!

Erin @ The Great Indoors
www.tatumgreatindoors.blogspot.com

Jennifer RS said...

Those yarn wrapped eggs look just fabulous! I'm going to be trying it!! :)

Your newest follower on Linky and GFC and a regular visitor too!! :)❤
The Butterfly Effect

BarbSteadman said...

Thank you!

Trish - Mom On Timeout said...

These turned out lovely!  I've been working on some this past week too.  I hope they turn out as nice as yours :)  Thanks so much for sharing at Mom On Timeout!

Mrs. Delightful said...

Awesome job!

Mrs. Delightful
www.ourdelightfulhome.blogspot.com

Kara @ simplisticallysassy said...

I love these!  I'm excited to check out your blog and follow.

BarbSteadman said...

Thanks!

Sarah @ Home, Sweet... said...

Ooohhh -- I LOVE these!  I am going to totally make some for our house, too. Thanks for sharing!!

Tamsyn said...

Gorgeous! I like yours even better than the inspiration ones :)

BarbSteadman said...

I hope you post yours!

BarbSteadman said...

Thanks!

BarbSteadman said...

Thank you so much!

BarbSteadman said...

Thanks!

BarbSteadman said...

Thank you so much!

BarbSteadman said...

Awww, thanks!

BarbSteadman said...

Thank you!

thistlewoodfarms said...

Visiting from Transformation Thursday!  I love this project!  What a clever idea.  You are truly talented.
Have a great weekend.
blessings,*thistle*

Katie goldsworthy said...

Those look really awesome! I love the yarn you used! 

Thanks for linking it up at Creatively Living!
--Katie

Kindra said...

What a fun project to do for Spring! I love the colors you used! I featured your eggs on this week's Terrific Under Ten Tuesday!
http://www.athomewithk.blogspot.com/2012/03/terrific-under-ten-tuesday-55.html

lfrank1018 said...

I love them! The bue with mixed colors is my fave one!

I'd love for you to link up and share: http://tutusandteaparties.blogspot.com/search/label/Link%20Party

Allison {A Glimpse Inside} said...

They look great! Fabulous colors!
 Thanks for linking up to last week's Catch a Glimpse party! I will be featuring this tomorrow!

BarbSteadman said...

Thanks! The navy is my favourite.

2yellowbirdsdecor said...

Those are SO Cute!! I love it! Thanks for sharing at Thursday's Temptation.!
Jill

Lori said...

Beautiful!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...