SEARCH THE BLOG

Aug 22, 2013

Lego Table from a Coffee Table (Flashback!)


When I was putting the bookcase back together after painting the front room, I came across a photo of my very first DIY project. This thing has to be 10 years old at least. Before I even knew what a blog was.

Coffee Table to Lego Table

The table was a Christmas gift for Tom's nephews and I was so darn proud of it. Unfortunately I only took one picture of the finished product, and no pictures of the steps taken to get there. Please excuse the Nascar blanket thrown over the couch - it was that era too.

The table started out as a plain coffee table that my mom found for me at a resale shop. I was in college and didn't have very much furniture of my own. The center had a glass insert, and the shelf underneath was perfect for storing remotes, books, cookies...you know, the usual. Years later we upgraded our furniture and I almost got rid of this guy, but then inspiration hit.

First I removed the glass insert (I wonder what happened to it?), and stripped the honey-coloured finish off of the wood. I remember I then restained it in a dark, dark shade (think ebony) with a poly topcoat. But I didn't like it, so I stripped that off too and tried again. I think this might be Minwax's Provincial.

There is a mesh net in the center well to hold all of the loose Legos. It was the bottom of an unused laundry bag - something like this:


We glued the raw edge of the bag around the frame of the well, and then finished it with some white cord as the glue was a little rough to the touch.

We bought a huge sheet of grey Lego baseplate and cut it to fit the two flat surfaces on the top. We just glued it right to the table. This gave the kids a place to build at a comfortable height, and all of their Legos were right there close by. There was some baseplate left over, so we cut it in two and glued each piece to the edge of the center shelf, to give them a couple of extra places to build.

Nowadays, you can find hundreds of homemade Lego tables out there, but back then, we were feeling pretty original. We had seen a couple of pre-fab, factory-made tables, but I liked the sturdiness of ours. And with that solid wood, I think it's something that could get passed down from generation to generation. Do you think Legos will be around in another 60 years?

Coffee Table To Lego Table





10 comments:

Barb @ Turtles and Tails said...

So cool. Great idea! Thanks for sharing!

Barb @ Turtles and Tails said...

I love this idea for using an old coffee table. I did something very similar with one here. This one you made is alot less messy!! Mine is at http://deonnawadechildatheart.blogspot.com/2013/08/diy-sand-and-water-table-tutorial.html

Barb @ Turtles and Tails said...

This looks awesome!!! We would love it if you would link up
at our linky party:

http://www.lifewiththecrustcutoff.com/two-girls-and-a-party-link-up-31/

Live every Wednesday to Sunday.

Hosted by:

http://www.lifewiththecrustcutoff.com/ Parrish
@ Life with the Crust Cut Off

http://thissillygirlslife.com/ Dana
@ This Silly Girl’s Life

We hope to see you there!

Barb @ Turtles and Tails said...

Thanks, Kristin!

Barb @ Turtles and Tails said...

Yours is so cute! Maybe messier, but no little pieces to step on!

Barb @ Turtles and Tails said...

I LOVE this!! Such a great idea! I wish we had a Lego table when we were kids! It would have made building stuff so much easier.


Some of my best childhood memories include Lego-building. My siblings and I would sprawl out on the floor with our mounds of Lego and spend hours at a time building stuff. I sure hope Lego lives on! Speaking of which, now I'm inspired to create Lego nails.


Found you through What I Learned Wednesday. Following you on BL and Pinterest.


xx Del @ spud-nails.blogspot.com

Barb @ Turtles and Tails said...

I WISH blogs had been around back then and I was following you because I would have been all over a DIY tutorial for that project. :D I'm hoping Legos will still be around. I'm storing a ton of them for someday grandchildren. :D
Thanks for sharing on BeColorful.
p

Barb @ Turtles and Tails said...

Thank you! I loved my Legos when I was a kid. I still look at them longingly in the store and consider buying some for myself!

Barb @ Turtles and Tails said...

Thank you! I loved my Legos too - I wish I still had them!

Barb @ Turtles and Tails said...

What a neat idea! This is just great. Thanks for sharing at I Made It! Monday. Can't wait to see what you link up this week.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...