SEARCH THE BLOG

Sep 25, 2011

Thrift Store Finds

My local Goodwill has "50% off" day every Friday. 
That's the only day I'll go there now.
Yes it's true, I'm so cheap that I won't even pay full price at Goodwill.

The last time I was there I was looking for some old books to use in a project.
It didn't matter what the book was about as long as it looked old.
And slightly intellectual wouldn't hurt. :-)

I came across these two beauties.


My aunt owns a used bookstore and I have a feeling
she’s scandalized at the thought of me cutting up old books.

Doesn't the top one look homemade?


I googled the title and it is a book that was first published in 1933.
 I'm not sure how this one ended up with this cover. 

The book is full of handwritten notes and newspaper clippings
 from Canadian papers dated 1934 and 1935. 









It leads me to believe that this is one of the original printings.

The second is a more common book. 
I was focusing on the aging though. 
I was planning on tea-staining pages for my project, but just look at these




Aren't they gorgeous?

The first is definitely not going to be changed.
I don't believe it's valuable but it's so interesting that I just have to keep it.



Buuuut, I’ve now decided to try something different
with the aforementioned project, so I’ll just have to come up with
something else for this guy.






2 comments:

Lynden Blossom said...

OHMYGOSH!  I just 'happened upon' your blog via Suzy's Artsy Craftsy Sitcom today...and then noticed This post since I love Goodwill, too...and then - I saw the books - and 'The Memoirs of Barry Lyndon, esq' - !!!  Just a bit of Trivia...  It was one of my favorite movies - still enjoy it when it comes on TV every once in a while!  (Ryan O'Neal and a superb cast and marvelous fashions of that day!) Just a bit of coincidence...  Wonder what you did with the book?   Great finds - both of them!  ;-}  I love books and I love re-purposing things -
Lynden
http://aneleganttouch-lynden.blogspot.com

BarbSteadman said...

I didn't end up doing anything with it! It's still sitting on the bookshelf! I have to get around to displaying it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...