SEARCH THE BLOG

Dec 10, 2011

Christmas Mantel

I think this is the first year I've decorated our mantel for Christmas.  I usually hang the stockings and Santa's clothesline and call it done.  But this year, since I went all out on the ornaments (here, here, and here) and the wreaths (here), I figured there's no reason to stop now.

We also have a floating shelf in the livingroom. The thing's gotta be at least 6 feet long, so that gave me double the decorating space!

I used more of the branches that we collected from my father-in-law's property. Sorry about the pictures, they were all taken at night.

First the shelf.  I layered cedar branches, just randomly, filling in with smaller pieces as needed.  I ran a garland of pinecones and berries from Micheal's (50% off!) along the length of the shelf.   The garland was intended to drape across the front of the fireplace but it looked so much better here.  I then added in some candles from the dollar store, old candlesticks from Goodwill, and flameless candles.




Sidenote: Costco has packages of 24 different-sized candles/tealights with 24 spare batteries for $15.  Tom says it's worth it for the batteries alone as he uses them all the time at his work and they're expensive. Should I start a black market battery store on the side?

The display needed some height so I added my apothocary jars filled with bows (don't they look a bit like poinsettia leaves?)  I added more pinecones - can't ever have too many pinecones - some red ribbon and bits of birch bark. Oh, there are also some spheres that I bought from the dollar store years ago.  Don't know what they're for but I think they fit right in.




The fireplace mantel was a little harder to decorate because it isn't very deep.  I started with a candle holder we bought last year and added pine branches around it.  I had to use little spots of hot glue to keep them in place because they kept falling forward.  But the glue comes right off so no big deal.



I tried out just about every candlestick I own. And I own a lot. I have two faux lanterns that I received as a shower gift but that I've never really liked.  I spraypainted the silver bases with oil rubbed bronze to coordinate with the dark wood of the candleholder.  I then partially filled them with burgundy gravel and pearl beads, and added more flameless candles.


Wove in some red ribbon and silver beads. 
Added more pinecones.  (Of course.)





 I also a couple of table "vignettes". 
There is a set of birch bark trees I loooooove.



And a pretty little vase filled with cedar twigs and pinecones. 
I love that ribbon.  It's new this year.



I think I might be ready for Christmas!

~~~~~~~~~

Linking to these fun parties this week!

4 comments:

BarbSteadman said...

Thank you!

BarbSteadman said...

Thanks for hosting!

becolorful said...

Utterly magical. I love all those tea lights and candles. So happy you linked this up to Motivated Monday at BeColorful.
Pam

{K} A said...

Everything looks SO pretty! I love the birch trees and the candles. The little clothesline is so cute and unique. Everything goes together beautifully. 

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...