SEARCH THE BLOG

Oct 16, 2012

Feeling the Burlap Love

Can I entertain you with one more wreath post? I know I've been going wreath-crazy lately (see here, here, and here), but this one is just for me and is the last one, I promise. Well, the last one until I start making Christmas wreaths anyway.

burlap wreath - www.turtlesandtails.blogspot.com

When we were in Pennsylvania in August we made a point to hit some some stores that we don't have here in Canada. One was Joann's and that's where I bought a huge grapevine wreath. 24 inches? 30 inches? 9,865 inches? I don't know, but it's the biggest wreath I've ever owned.

I've been wanting to do a loose weave, floaty kind of burlap wreath for quite a while. I found all kinds of inspiration on line, but they all looked like a heckofa lot of cutting and glueing would be involved. And I make a big enough mess just deciding what decorations to use. Imagine all that burlap fluff flying around the room, getting all over your clothes and up your nose? (Ha, that rhymed!)

Instead, I took my burlap, wrapped it around the wreath like a tube and loosely stapled it. It was like the wreath was wearing a sock. A sock with lots of holes, that's probably pretty itchy. I then pushed and pulled and wrinkled it all up to give it some dimension. The back of the wreath isn't as pretty, like how the mannequins in the store have all kinds of pins and clips at the back making their clothes look perfectly fitted. (Don't you hate finding out that the shirt or sweater isn't cut like they pretend it is?)

burlap wreath - www.turtlesandtails.blogspot.com

I like a simple wreath so I just added some berries and leaves to the bottom and centered it with a brown satiny ribbon. The "autumn" banner is made from triangles cut from dropcloth and backed with cardboard from an old shoebox. The font for the letters is called "Coolock Black" on PicMonkey.

burlap wreath - www.turtlesandtails.blogspot.com

burlap wreath - www.turtlesandtails.blogspot.com

I like that the large wreath really makes a statement. Our front porch is pretty small so there isn't a lot of room for seasonal decorations. Usually I hang leaves around the door and have a smaller wreath, but this guy  holds his own and can carry the party all by himself.

burlap wreath - www.turtlesandtails.blogspot.com

burlap wreath - www.turtlesandtails.blogspot.com

burlap wreath - www.turtlesandtails.blogspot.com

burlap wreath - www.turtlesandtails.blogspot.com

burlap wreath - www.turtlesandtails.blogspot.com

~~~~~

I'm linking up here this week!



17 comments:

Jill said...

Oooh! I love everything about this wreath!

Shannon said...

This is gorgeous! I love it!
I would love if you would share this at my link party going on right now:
http://sewingbarefoot.blogspot.com/2012/10/the-weekly-creative-4.html
Thanks!Shannon @ Sewing Barefoot

BarbSteadman said...

Thank you!

Chelsea P. said...

Cute!

Sandra said...

I would love to do a fall wreath but never seem to get around to it. I love the texture of the burlap with the satiny ribbon.
Just lovely!


Sandra

Carrie said...

The details of the bow and banner make this burlap wreath extra cute! Love it!
Would love for you to share this at my very first linky party. My sister and I are working together over at “Think Tank Thursday”…hope to see you there!http://www.saving4six.com/2012/10/welcome-to-think-tank-thursday-1.html

Jacy said...

Hello! Great project, love it!
I just linked it on my blog for today's Fabric Fun Friday :)
See it here: http://artbyjacy.blogspot.com/2012/10/fabric-fun-friday-autumn-explosion.html

Hope it brings you some traffic, have a great weekend!
Blessings,
Jacy

Alyssa Rivers said...

This is soooooo cute and would look perfect on my door! :) New follower here! Would love for you to visit me and join my site as well!


riversrecipereview.blogspot.com

Lauren @ The Thinking Closet said...

Love this wreath (and I'm not typically a wreath girl). Made my first wreath this fall!

http://thethinkingcloset.wordpress.com

Shannon said...

Thanks for linking up to The Weekly Creative! I hope to see you again this Monday to share more of your fun ideas :)


Have a great weekend!
Shannon @ Sewing Barefoot

Alexis Lohrke Tanner said...

I love this! The burlap and autumn banner is awesome! Great idea!

BarbSteadman said...

Thank you!

BarbSteadman said...

I saw your wreath - so pretty! I can't believe you wrapped all of those flowers!

BarbSteadman said...

Thanks Alyssa!

BarbSteadman said...

Thank you!

BarbSteadman said...

Thank you!

BarbSteadman said...

Thank you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...