SEARCH THE BLOG

Nov 26, 2018

Under-bed Shoe Storage Drawers

I have a lot of running shoes. Maybe too many. I should probably throw some of them out, but it's so hard, you know?

I was tired of looking at them piled up on a shelf in our closet, so I had Tom whip up some under-bed sliding drawers for me, to get them out of sight.

Under-bed Shoe Drawers

I wanted to use as much of the space as possible, but I didn't want the drawer to be too big to move, so we went with two drawers, one 3 feet wide and the other 3-1/2 feet wide. They're both 15 inches deep and made of 1/2" veneered plywood.

Under-bed Shoe Drawers

The edges are 3-1/2 inches high - high enough to hide the shoes from sight, but still low enough to give your fingers clearance to pull the drawers out.

Under-bed Shoe Drawers

The inside corners are reinforced with 2x2s cut on a diagonal. Since the front edge is what gets pulled on all the time, you don't want the board pulling right off.

Under-bed Shoe Drawers

I stained the visible sides (front of drawers and side edge at the foot of the bed) a dark Jacobean brown to blend with the bed frame and then added 2" furniture sliders to the bottom corners so that the drawers don't get caught on the carpet.

Under-bed Shoe Drawers

Tom liked them so much that he built some for his side of the bed too. I think he's hoping I forget about them and he won't ever have to wear dress shoes. I'm just glad I don't have to look at his big ol' sweaty sandals anymore. :-)

Under-bed Shoe Drawers
Under-bed Shoe Drawers





1 comment:

24sevnlibrarian said...

Did you glue or nail the sides of the show storage sliders?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...